little lost causes

Monday, March 12, 2007

lots of old birthdays and new ways to get involved

birthdays are fantastic, as are parties, sleeping, eating, dancing, etc. some friends threw me a birthday party and it was gorgeous. lights, a buffet, d.j.s, pretty chocolate cake, cards, candles, cigarettes, sangria. i loved every minute and have been glum ever since. it's like christmas and once it's over, you're left a little hollow, a little pale.
i was wondering around, circling the kitchen, the dance floor, the kitchen again and my boyfriend was following me, begging me to finally come upstairs to bed. "no! ryan, it's my party," i kept saying, indignantly. we were both beyond drunk. i'm amazed he was able to pull himself together enough to reason with me in the tender, patient way i need to be reasoned with. he let me walk for awhile longer and see for myself that i could no longer maintain a conversation, let alone find one to join.
"meggie, you aren't supposed to stay until the very end. the guest of honor is supposed to party hard enough to have to leave. just say good-bye, let it go," ryan said.
i'd probably still be walking aimlessly around their apartment if it weren't for ryan.

No comments: